Why Can’t I Lose Weight Even Though I’m Eating Healthy & Exercising?
Have you been pushing yourself to lose weight for a while now and just not seeing the results translate on your bathroom scale?
You may be losing body fat, but at the same time, you may also be gaining muscle mass!
This is the most common reason people aren’t seeing the changes on the scale as much as they would hope (at least right away). The two factors of losing body fat yet gaining muscle mass seem to offset each other. It may appear that you are not losing any fat despite all your hard work…talk about frustrating…
The best way to stay motivated and avoid this common frustration through your new found routine, is to utilize a body weight scale that will measure your body fat percentage. Bath scale that measure fat really go more in depth than a traditional scale that only tells you your weight. These types of scale are affordable and really provide a unique view of your body’s composition to help you gain a better understanding of your health.
It’s important to realize that even though the most common occurrence for those not seeing results via the scale is due to muscle gain, there could also be other personal factors that are playing into the equation. According to Authority Nutrition, the following may also apply:
- You’re not cutting back on carbs enough–carbs are necessary in a well-balanced diet but a limited number is key. According to Healthambition.com bread made from refined wheat flour, pasta made from wheat, white rice, and potatoes are all common sources of carbohydrates that are high in the glycemic index. Consuming too much of them will put your body into fat storage mode and prevent you from loosing weight.
- You’re stressed all the time–stress increases the body’s stress hormones such as cortisol. With elevated levels of cortisol, hunger signals can increase as well as cravings for unhealthy foods.
- You’re not eating real food–ditch the processed food and shoot for as close to nature as possible. Eating food without an excess of artificial ingredients is not only going to make your body happy, but will help in your weight loss as well.
- You’re not sleeping enough–Lack of sleep causes your body to send signals of hunger because it needs that extra fuel and energy from food to get through the day. Sleep is absolutely crucial for optimal health. Don’t short yourself of those zzzzzz’s.
- You’re consuming an unbalanced amount of dairy—The amino acid composition in dairy protein can spike insulin when ingested in large amounts. You don’t have to completely cut it out of your diet, but it’s important to be aware of the effects it could be making on your progress.
- You’re not exercising right (or at all)— exercise is critical for both mental and physical health. With that being said, it’s important to not just stick to running on a treadmill during the entire length of your workout. Mix up your routine with weight lifting, interval training and low intensity workouts.
- You’re eating too many sweeteners—Even though they are calorie free, artificial sweeteners can greatly affect your appetite and can lead one to ingest too many unaccounted for calories.
- You have a medical condition in the way–Certain medical conditions can affect one’s success when trying to lose weight. If you think that you have a condition that could be affecting you, it’s important to see your physician.
- You’re cheating too often–it’s fine to indulge once in a while when you have cravings ( in fact, it’s encouraged for overall health satisfaction and happiness) but it’s important to be aware of just how many times you’re giving into that temptation.
- You’re eating too many calories without burning them off–at the end of the day, the amount of calories you ingest and are not burning off matters. Try keeping a food journal and keeping track of your daily intake.
- You don’t have realistic expectations–bottom line, weight loss takes a long time! It’s important to be patient and celebrate your accomplishments on your way to the ultimate goal. Make a realistic goal that is healthy for your body frame and overall wellness.
The following Escali products can aid in your weight loss journey, from measuring your true body fat percentage to practicing portion control:
Glass Health Monitor, Body Fat/ Body Water scale, Ultra Slim Health Monitor, Primo kitchen scale, Arti kitchen scale, Cibo Nutritional scale
Disclaimer: The Escali Blog does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. more