Happy 4th of July!
Happy 4th of July from us all at Escali scales! What a beautiful day to celebrate our freedom and independence. Get on out there with your family and friends. To ensure you have the best holiday ever, make sure to bring lots of fireworks and food! Here are our favorite recipes for celebrating this great day.
Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Pie
152 g phyllo dough
55 g butter, melted
448 g cream cheese
100 g white sugar
5 ml vanilla extract
290 g fresh blueberries
170 g strawberry jelly
235 ml heavy cream, whipped (optional)
· Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
· On a flat surface, place one sheet of phyllo dough. Brush it with melted butter and cover with another piece of phyllo. Repeat until all 8 sheets are used. Using kitchen scissors cut layered phyllo into a 12 to 13 inch circle. Carefully press circle into a greased 9 inch pie plate; gently fan edges. Bake in preheated oven until edges are just golden, 6 to 8 minutes; cool slightly on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
· In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well combined. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Pour filling into prepared crust.
· Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until set for 40 to 50 minutes. To prevent the crust from over-browning; gently cover pie with foil for the last 25 minutes of baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.
· In a small bowl, beat jelly until smooth; spread over cheese filling. Arrange 1 cup blueberries on top in a star pattern.
Classic American-Style Potato Salad
910 g red boiling potatoes, scrubbed
30 ml red wine vinegar
3 g salt
1 g freshly ground black pepper
3 hard-cooked eggs
1 small celery stalk
40 g chopped sweet pickle
8 gr chopped fresh parsley
120 ml mayonnaise
30 ml Dijon-style mustard
· Place potatoes in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer, stirring to ensure even cooking, until a thin-bladed paring knife or a metal skewer inserted into a potato can be removed with no resistance, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Cool.
· Cut warm potatoes into 3/4-inch dice with a serrated knife. Layer them in a bowl, seasoning with vinegar, salt and pepper as you go. Cut the eggs, celery and pickle in 1/4-inch dice and thinly slice scallions. Add to potatoes, along with parsley. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard until everything is combined. Chill, covered, before serving.
4th of July Star Cupcakes
517 g chocolate cake mix
315 ml water
120 ml vegetable oil
15 large fresh strawberries
450 g white frosting
36 fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 12 cupcake cups with paper liners. Grease top of cupcake pan to help remove baked cupcakes.
· Place the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs into a large mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer on slow speed for 30 seconds to combine ingredients. Increase speed to medium and beat 1 more minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Spoon the batter into the lined cupcake cups, filling them to the brim. Cupcakes will rise and bake over top of the liners, making wide, round tops.
· Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes; check after 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan completely. Gently run a knife underneath the cupcake tops to separate them from the pan so cupcakes can be removed, but leave in the pan.
· Cut the green stem end from each berry, leaving a flat platform on the end. Slice each berry into quarters by cutting in half, then rotating berry and cutting in half again crosswise. There will be a total of 60 triangle-shaped berry pieces.
· To decorate, cut the wide rim of a cupcake top into a star shape with a sharp paring knife by cutting out 5 shallow triangles, evenly spaced around the top. Leave the middle of the cupcake uncut, and discard cut-out portions. Frost the cupcake with the white frosting, following the star shape of the top and leaving the cut-out portions unfrosted. Place 3 blueberries into the center of the cupcake and place 5 strawberry slices surrounding the blueberries, cut sides down and points facing outward, to make a large strawberry star. Repeat for remaining cupcakes.